Friday, October 10, 2008

GBA Golf Outing

Since I was unable to make the golf tournament, I asked fellow 1st year Mark Digman to give write up something on the event as it sounded incredible. It should also be noted that 2nd year John Oros put the whole tournament together. It was a daunting task and he did a great job.

A little over two weeks ago the 5th Annual GBA Golf Outing was held and it was a blast! To me, a beautiful day out on the golf course beats a day in the office or in class. What's even more important was that we were paired up with representatives and recruiters from a variety of companies that will be here on campus in a couple months to interview us for internships and full-time positions. The primary companies represented were General Mills, Kimberly Clark, Proctor & Gamble, Grainger, Johnson & Johnson, Raytheon, Best Buy, Robert W. Baird, and SC Johnson. It was an excellent opportunity to get exposure to these companies and their recruiters. It'll really be nice to have already met some of these individuals when interviews come around.















Picture 1: Mark and Doug Sticksel(2nd year CBPM) playing with P&G
Picture 2: Dave Oehler (2nd year CBPM), Erin Wilson (1st year Nielsen Center), Jon Jones (1st year CBPM, Christina Zwicky of General Mills (CBPM '07)

We played at University Ridge Golf Course which was in amazing shape (it's a far nicer course than I deserve to be hacking around on). And actually, it's pretty cheap for students to play. Everyday rates are $26 for students. But in all honesty, there wasn't a ton of talent displayed on the course. I think more people were interested in throwing back a few beers with the recruiters and enjoying the day rather than getting too competitive in the scramble. The day was a great and I'm certainly going to participate again next year.

Kyle here again: From talking to those that played, the contacts they made were incredible. To be able to ride along with Brand Managers and Assistant Brand Managers for five hours and ask them about the industry and their company is invaluable. I am jealous that I didn't get to play, but everybody has been very nice about introducing me to their playing partners when they come on campus.

Have a great weekend and thanks Mark for putting this together.

1 Comments:

At Fri Oct 10, 09:25:00 PM CDT, Blogger Greg R. said...

I was able to spend 5 hours with the lead recruiters for SCJ, which happens to be a company I'm extremely interested in.

It was the first time I've golfed in more than two years, and I'm terrible to begin with, but it was a lot of fun and a great chance to (hopefully) leave an impression. I was also able to chat with the reps from the other companies and make an initial introduction.

It's funny to think that a year ago I was worried about moving to the Midwest. It didn't dawn on me until later that our location has great advantages (like all these CPG's within driving distance).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home