Tuesday, February 10, 2009


MBA or Reality TV?


So I know that many prospective students are trying to determine what to do with their lives right now? Do I give up two years of salary and pursue an MBA? Or do I throw caution to the wind and throw my hat into the reality TV mix?

It is a tough decision I know. One that I myself contemplated. For me it was between The Real World and Road Rules. I know what you are thinking--pick Road Rules so that you get on a better Guantlet or Duel team. Road Rulers are always better at those competitions. However, I have a weak stomach and have no desire to bungee jump so I would have chosen The Real World. While binge drinking, crowded hot tubs, and confessional rooms might be your scene, I ask you to look at the long-term prospects.

Six months following the show, you will be the hottest thing since slice bread. You will be invited to club openings and be doing random web spots on MTV.com. You will probably meet a couple of stars and get your picture in US Weekly or People, but then what? Funny you should ask. Two groups of 2nd year Brand students were visiting a local Trek bicycle store for their product design class and asked the clerk for help. Low and behold if it was not Madison's local reality TV star--Landon Lueck from The Real World Philadelphia.

Landon is third from the left

While we might not have crowded hot tubs (unless you count the ones at Polar Plunge) and crazy club openings, we do offer fantastic full-time employment opportunities in brand management. You can get your picture in the Grainger Squire and you can meet stars of the marketing world like Tom O'Guinn, Jan Heide, and Deb Mitchell.

We just completed the Brand Guantlet (doesn't quite have the same panache as people in swimsuits in Tahiti)--8 companies, 15+ interviews, 5 days. It was a tough five days, but something I wouldn't trade for my last six years of work experience. I still have more second round interviews this week so it is not fully over, but it will be soon enough.

So when you are thinking about what to do with your life, think about where you want to be in three years. Do you want to be a year into a job as a brand manager or greasing a chain at Trek?

1 Comments:

At Tue Feb 10, 09:44:00 PM CST, Blogger Greg R. said...

Still can't believe the Bachelor rejected my nomination of you. What else do they need?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home